IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting


Electronic Recruiting

Our Rate Card



Please Click On Our Sponsors

Please Click On Our Sponsors

Recruiting News for the Human Resource Professional

Please Click On Our Sponsors

Please Click On Our Sponsors

Please Click On Our Sponsors

Please Click On Our Sponsors




Click On Our Sponsors

Click On Our Sponsors







Find out more
About IBN

Got a news tip?
Tell us at

Our Rate Card



Trends Reports



It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

is more
it seems.
John Gall


iCIMS The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

Home | ERN | Bugler | The Blogs | Blogroll | Advertise | Archives | Careers

Industry Growth

(September 25, 2003) - A job board is, even in a downturn, a pretty ideal micro-business. A staff of four, a couple of good connections with the local rotary club, access to a technical person and a dose of stubbornness are all that you need to eke out a nice little existence. In a small town, 40 fresh listings a week priced at a nominal $295 for 30 days generates an annual business volume of $500K.

Of course, someone has to actually sell the listings. It takes a solid couple of years to get the phone traffic to come inbound. So, there's advertising and word of mouth to create in the beginning. A little bit of hard work goes a long way.

Prudence with overheads in the good times leads to survival in the harder times. The ease with which cash flow can be generated by a job board operation often creates unwarranted enthusiasm for future opportunity. The biggest single risk for survival in a small job board is an unwarranted belief that growth is possible or feasible.

More and more, we're seeing the emergence of small networks of job boards. Apparently, successful scaling of a network depends on consistency in the technology. The same job board that serves our small town is duplicated for other towns around the Bay area. Very focused and very local, the operation depends on single, aggressive sales people who live and work in their local communities. The offices are usually downtown.

Like the rest of our economy, the Electronic Recruiting Industry's growth happens in the micro-niches. The big players are relatively stable (though they jockey for position and the notoriety of being number one). At best, they represent 10% of the overall market. The other 90% is very volatile and fast churning. It doesn't depend on National dynamics at all.

Small businesses fuel our economy in both the overall picture and in our industry.

John Sumser

We've Redesigned CareerJournal.com

CareerJournal.com, The Wall Street Journal's executive career site, has been completely redesigned to help you attract a wide range of seasoned, talented executives, managers and professionals.

CareerJournal.com attracts 600,000+ unique visitors each month who can't be found anywhere else online.

They're experienced, well-educated and visiting our site because they're career savvy, not because they're actively job hunting--which makes them the best passive salaried candidates you'll find. In addition, 19% of these high-level candidates are African American, Hispanic or Asian, and 33% are women.

We offer a range of cost-effective methods for posting jobs and searching our resume database.

For more information, please review the following options:


Home | ERN | Bugler | The Blogs | Blogroll | Advertise | Archives | Careers

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to consult with you about your project.

Copyright © 2013 interbiznet. All rights reserved.
Materials written by John Sumser © TwoColorHat. All Rights Reserved.
Mill Valley, CA 94941

Electronic Recruiting News



         - Bugler
           Daily Industry News

         - ERNIE
           ERN in Email


  • BlogRoll
  • Integrated Employment
          Branding Presentation
  • Trends Whitepaper
  • interbiznet Listings
  • interbiznet Trends
  • interbiznet Bookclub
  • Top 100 E-Recruiters
  • Presentations
         - Recruiting Then/Now
  • Recruiter's Toolkit
  • Seminar In A Box
  • ERN Archives
  • 1st Steps In The Hunt


  • Our Rate Card
  • Demographics


  • BlogRoll


  • Relationship Mngmnt
  • Important Site
  • Consider The Audience
  • Talent Dev Resources
  • RSS I
  • First Steps
  • Simple Things
  • Rumors Of War
  • Implementing Strategy
  • Matching
  • Branding Series
  • 1 Year Ago
  • 4 Years Ago


    Stocks We Watch:
    Public Companies
    in Electronic Recruiting


         © 2013 interbiznet.
         All Rights Reserved.

         Materials written
         by John Sumser
         © TwoColorHat.
         All Rights Reserved.